Now that our trailer was successfully prepared, we could move on to making walls! We started by laying out all of our sill plates (the boards that will make up the bottom of our walls.) We wanted to make sure that everything fit properly now so when we go to raise our walls there are no surprises. Because the hitch end wall goes from edge to edge on the trailer and caps the long walls, we wanted to make sure it was centered on the tie downs and square before laying out our other pieces. Once each piece was confirmed to be the right length, we marked and drilled a hole for each of the tiedowns, using a 7/8″ Forstner bit. Since the threaded rod is 5/8″, this gave us a little extra wiggle room that made getting the sills in place a lot easier later on (more on that in a later post).
Archives for September 2014
Here’s a fun little video we made, it tells the epic saga of a piece of 1/2″ CDX plywood on its journey into our new home. We present: Voyage d’un Planche.
With our insulation, edging and subfloor done, it was time to level the trailer and finalize its position in the yard for the build. We were able to manipulate it by hand before, but very quickly now it is going to get heavy enough to keep us from doing that very easily. While our trailer is beautiful, it’s weighted to have a house built on it. With no house and no vehicle, it gets a bit awkward. So, Jeff got all smart and ordered both a foot and a wheel for the hitch end.
We didn’t intend to rest all of the weight of the trailer on these, but it made it so much easier than someone having to hold the end up while we pushed it.
As soon as we finished edging our trailer, we began laying our subfloor. We pre-cut all of our 3/4″ CDX sheets (4’x8′) to the 7’3″ trailer width we’d be covering. As we checked measurements moving down the trailer, we noticed there were small variances over and under the 7’3″ width our trailer was supposed to be at this stage. (Jeff note: also, when your plywood cutter – aka me – measures up 87″ on one side and 86″on the other and then packs up to go to work, you’re already behind the 8-ball in terms of square. Oops.)
Our next step after insulation is to add wood edging around our trailer to support our walls. The first layer is 2x4s notched to accommodate our threaded rod attachment points and screwed into the trailer with self tapping screws. We were advised to use cedar, but it was unavailable in our area. We tried to get fir as a second choice, but what was regularly available in our area was pressure treated. We know we’re having some environmental impact, but that stuff is pretty nasty. So, we chose to use regular 2×4, painted with Kilz 2 primer and exterior latex paint to seal it from the weather in future.
We kicked off the official start of our build with a few of our friends Friday August 22, 2014! Jeff prepared the trailer by cleaning it and sealing the holes with the awesome sealer/adhesive we bought, a product called Rainbuster 900. This was recommended to us by the general manager of the store where we purchased our insulation as an excellent all-around product.